Sunday, November 15, 2009

Explosive Diapers: I did not sign up for this crap...

I have made the determination that explosive poopy diapers are the most horrible things ever. Worse than liver, worse than undercooked brussels sprouts, worse than the smell of a skunk that has just been hit. Worse than going to the freezer and finding out the ice cream you've wanted all week is gone...

Our daughter has a respiratory infection that requires the use of antibiotics. Great, no biggie there. I filled the prescription and proceeded to read the side effects. In there it said: irritability (great, it can't get worse than it is already), nausea (well, she's already puking...), and diarrhea (not a problem, she poops regularly. Maybe it won't happen. HA!)
Irritability remained about the same. She's five months old, so she has her moments. Nausea hasn't been an issue, and neither was the diarrhea until Friday. I woke up to a genuinely happy baby and thought, "Hey! This is awesome, she's feeling better!" We hadn't had any issues with the diapers...until about 11 that morning. I was sitting at my laptop typing away (I am working on a novel currently) when this God-awful smell hit me. I looked at my daughter, who was just sitting in her bouncer babbling away and flailing her legs. She looked at me and grinned...and then grunted...a lot.

I scooted closer to her to find that, indeed, that smell of 'dead animal up butt' was coming from her. Wonderful. I unbuckled her from her seat and the smell got about a thousand times worse. Now, I am not one to gag, but this smell did it. I can't even begin to explain it.
So, I laid Elainna down and unbuttoned the now desecrated onesie to find that the diaper she was wearing had exploded. I am not joking when I say I think there was more baby grossness (not a word, but I just made it up...) on her clothing, back and legs than there was in the diaper. EEEWW!
And she just laid there...grinning. I cleaned her up, got her bath ready and gave her a bath right then. Batime is usually reserved for bedtime. I made an exception. When I was finished with her (which took a while because I washed her twice...and she proceeded to splash half of the water on me while attempting to swim) she smelled like a fresh-non-poopy baby. No more poopy smell for her. Oh no. It was that clean, fresh, comforting smell of baby.
That stain on her onesie never did come out. I washed it twice in warm water with color safe bleach. To no avail, that ugly stain is still there. We've had no more explosive diapers *knocks on wood* and hopefully we will have no more while she is on her medicine. That was seriously the worst thing I have ever changed in my life. And I know when she really starts eating solids that it will get worse. Oh, joy.

I just wish I could have saved the outfit. Any tips on getting out a stain like that are appreciated! If I never have to change a diaper like that again, it will be too soon. Maybe the next one will be left to daddy...ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment